Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2009 and Weekend

What a time!

On the Wednesday, November 25, 2009, Thanksgiving eve, I purchased and prepared all the food for a Thanksgiving feast and on the Thursday morning got up early and put it on to cook.

All organic - a turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, potatoes, yams, squash, green beans, carrots, broccoli, onion, apple and sugar-snap peas.

Deserts would be pumpkin pie, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, Greek style yogurt, full cream and whipped cream.

Drinks would be green tea, berry yogurt drink, Pina Colada juice and orange juice.

It was a lot of food for just the two of us - myself and my best friend, Joe, who has been a close neighbor and such a good friend for so many years.

It was cooked perfectly by noon and when he arrived I set out the table with all this wonderful goodness and we stuffed ourselves full.

Then we went of to see the movie "2012" at a local theater. It was a very dramatic film about that would have been the end of the human race but for some very modern and very, very large and strong "arcs" that saved thousands of people and animals.

Then Joe and I drove to Burbank and watched "New Moon" the sequel Vampire/Werewolf movie. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it!

Home again we were ready to tackle another huge meal from the prepared food. I heated it and we ate until we could eat no more.

Next day, Friday November 27, Joe and I both had to work.

Saturday was the NESI (New Era Seniors, International) "Thanks for the Giving" awards dinner for all our NESI senior volunteers. I prepared a huge spinach salad and arrived at 3:00 pm to help my friend Suesan with the set ups.

Twenty seniors arrived by 7:00 pm and the food spread (planned by Carolyn and brought by the attendees) was almost unbelievable! - Turkey, roast beef, gravies, vegetables of every type, salads, trimmings, and a dozen types of desert.

Awards from the President of the USA were distributed to those who regularly volunteer their services to others. (Suesan, Carolyn, Sandra and I received Lifetime awards. I have this same Lifetime award from two different Presidents now.)

Then, there was a great entertainment game and presents and of course the big clean up when all the others went home.

Sunday, Joe came over for dinner again and we got to work on some more of that Thanksgiving food. Another huge meal and Joe's wonderful company once more.

Monday it was back to work and back to normal schedule - though I will still be having turkey for a couple of days.

OK! Time to start thinking about Christmas!

Love,
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment